Friday 30 September 2011

An Outing

In the early years of my teaching life, I was once invited to talk of the popular uprising and independent movements in the then backward countries in Africa and Latin America. We met at a rubber tapper's hut up in Bukit Lima . There were about 50 young students more or less crowded into the simple hut and we did feel the building seemed to moan under such additional load. A simple made-shift hard paper board served as the blackboard and I did sketch a simple map to explain my points. It was more like a classroom with quiet and disciplined pupils. I being a professional teacher had no difficulty in my role and enjoyed the esteem and respect accorded to me.
Apart from the quotes from the relevant book borrowed from the Council Library, I made very little comments nor did I made any political analysis then. I behaved just more like a conventional classroom teacher.  I wonder how many of the students live to this time and how many had met with the arrests, detention and died.

No comments:

Post a Comment